Monday, August 16, 2004

Letter to the Editor - Overcrowding Jails, Death Penalty

In response to this article in the Sunday Challenger, I submitted this letter to the editor. Maybe I sound a bit angry, but I don't have alot of compassion with prisoners. Really? How hard is it to stay out of jail? Besides a ticket and social situations, I haven't spoken to a cop for any longer than 5 minutes in my life.

I'm weakly against the death penalty. What does weakly mean? I think it's a bad idea to give the state that much power over a citizen, but I'm not going to be one of these people who stays out in the cold night of an execution saying prayers and weeping when the lights flicker. But I wouldn't abolish the death penalty and keep the situation the same as now. I would like to have a cage you put these murders in and give them 3 squares and a Bible or Judy Bloom to read and forget about them - no release, no parole, no compassion.