Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Moderate Islam's Deafening Silence

The WSJ tried to answer a question with this piece that I've been trying to find the answer to for a while.

Mr. Ormsby writes:
One of the more puzzling and, indeed, agonizing aspects of the aftermath of
9/11--especially for those who, like myself, have spent many years teaching
and writing about Islam--has been the relative silence of American Muslims,
a silence that by and large continues unbroken.

From my college days, I've been taught that as a European I must apologize for colonialism although since I'm of Scottish heritage my people were colonized. I've been taught that as a white male I must apologize and pay reparations for American slavery although my antecedents were no where near the States yet. I been taught that as a US citizen that I must apologize for the Japanese internment camps although I was not born for another 25 years. I've been told about the trail of tears, FDRs refusal to bomb the train lines to Auschwitz, Mei Lay and most recently Abu Graib. I've been told I must apologize for all the tragedies that have occurred that my "kind" may be slightly attached to.

After having been taught all that, why can't I name one Islamic leader that has said, "I'm sorry. This was bad. This does not represent Islam." I've heard Bush say it too many times and I've seen clerics say it here and there. But not so much that I would know any of their names. Can anyone name one mullah that has adamantly gave an unqualified denouncement of Islamofacism and/or the 9/11 attacks? I'm sure the media would love to have an articulate defender of Islam to put on TV at every change. But there nothing. Only silence.

Is it a response the Muslims use because they are afraid to draw attention to themselves either way or is it because in some way they agree with what their more active brothers are doing?