Friday, August 06, 2004

Tax Revolt in the Heartland

Two stories from the Cincinnati Enquirer here and here discuss how proposed school levies have were smacked down across Ohio. From the second story:
Conversations yielded some answers about the mood of voters: It's the economy.
Anti-tax advocates were well-organized. It's a vote of no confidence in school
leaders. Seniors on fixed incomes can't afford it. Neither can families who are
strapped for cash. It's one of the few taxes over which voters have a say.
I don't have much of a dog in this fight. I can see Cincinnati from my back patio in Kentucky. Also, my kids go to private school. My question is what does this mean? I've done some work for political campaigns in the area and it seems like a school levy would be a cinch. Agitate the votes of a vested minority (teachers, administrators, suppliers, etc) and win big over a dispersed majority who would pay proportionally less. But that didn't happen.

Is this a signal that Ohioians aren't going to be friendly to anyone hinting at raising taxes? I think so. I also think that the Buckeye state will take this attitude into the presidential voting booths come November. That spells bad news for Kerry in this great big vote rich battleground state.