Monday, August 16, 2004

Taxing Ideas

The Tax Foundation has a nice study out today. It's here. Conclusion is that the top 20% of income earners keep paying more and more. Why does this make me nervous? Because the guy who I work for is one of them. I'm with him when he makes his quarterly tax payment. The numbers are quite a bit larger than mine. Any way, if trends continue and he keeps paying a larger and larger portion, at some point, he'll have to make up for it out of my salary and/or benefits. This is not good! I'm just joking - a little.

It's been said before by somebody, but if you tax something, you get less of it. If you tax incomes (work), you get less work. If you tax investment, you get less of it. At what point does a guy whose making a nice income say that it's just not worth it to go to work anymore.

For some reason Dennis Hastert turns me off. Can't someone get him a treadmill, decent haircut and contacts? But if he is pushing forward the sales tax idea, I might have to write him a check.

Stay you.