Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Blogger Down! Blogger Down!

Yes, yes, I know. I'm falling down on my blogging committments.

A certain dispiritedness has overtaken me. I don't usually know where these moods come from. I think it's because I didn't do anything productive over the labor day weekend. Many people can live with that, in fact they embrace it, but I can't. It seems a waste. I need to learn to relax. The "killing kids for Allah" news also brought me down. I fear that this is only going to get worse and I'm a little upset that all weekend long a hurricane blew a few hundred murdered children off the news. God, I'm glad where I live. I'm not very religious, but we're raising our daughters Lutheran, and we send them to a Catholic school that treats them wonderfully.

To make matters worse, I have visitors coming in this weekend. We've had too many visitors (family) in the past two months and I'm worn out. The Divine Mrs. M. and I are insular homebodies. We seem to do quite well by ourselves with the daughters. People just drain us of energy and these visitors seem like a dark cloud hanging over my head.

So today I'm going to get a ton of work done and I think I'll feel better. I'll update tonight if I can after the meeting at my daughter's school; Some mandatory parent meeting where they are going to tell us how much tuition could have gone up and since it didn't that much we now much sell 14,000 boxes of some godawful junk.

I'll leave you with on a positive note with two quotes I have had posted on my monitor here at the office.

The first is a supposed Jack London fake, but I think he'd claim it if he could:

I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow,
than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.

The next is from FDR's 4th inaugural:

I remember that my old schoolmaster, Dr. Peabody, said, in days that seemed to us then to be secure and untroubled: "Things in life will not always run smoothly. Sometimes we will be rising toward the heights—then all will seem to reverse itself and start downward. The great fact to remember is that the trend of civilization itself is forever upward; that a line drawn through the middle of the peaks and the valleys of the centuries always has an upward trend."

Stay You.