Thursday, November 18, 2004

Happy Anniversary Mrs. McEwen

I meet Alicia in May of 1989 on the first day of our both starting a new job. She had just finished her sophomore year and me my freshman at Ball State. We were both back home in Fort Wayne for the summer. We'd been hired to spend the summer working answering the customer service phones for a toy company.

There was no intention on my part on doing anything at that point in my life besides having some fun. But then I met her and grew up. Sure I was still a dumbass, but I shifted my thinking into a more grownup gear. Education, career, etc. Because when I met here sitting in the reception area on the first day of that job, I was hit by a thunderbolt. I needed to work to deserve her love. It was powerful. In my mind a changed occured: this was it; she was the girl; the chasing women part of my life was over. And we've been together ever since. As I said at the time, she's a rarity because she is one of the few people who can tolerate me.

There are things I would like to change: things I've said, things I wish I hadn't said, things I wish I would have done. There a long list. She deserves better, but, thankfully, doesn't realize it - I hope.

We dated through college, she moved off to grad school (MA at Wright State in Industrial Organizational Psychology). I finished up my BA at Ball State in 4 1/2 years. We saw each other every other weekend or so. Mostly she drove to me because she had a car. Depressed most of that time, I lived like a bearded, unbathed hermit. Not a happy time for either of us, but we survived. Each visit got me through to the next one. Thanks.

So after I graduated, we moved in together. Yes, as my mom would say, we shacked up, lived in sin, and condemned ourselves to eternal damnation. We couldn't be happier...or poorer. Still, happy times. Making house for the first time, we began our careers, got use to each other again and started a new phase of maturity. We moved from Dayton, OH to Highland Heights, Kentucky. We - or maybe it's just me - are homebodies. We watched alot of movies, cooked alot of new-to-us food, went to plays, opera, read alot of book. Happy times. But there was an itch.

The itch to get married. There was no time that we had broken up and I had considered ourselves de facto married but the de jure part was lacking. There's a certain level of nakedness of standing up in front of people and professing your committment to one another. After we did that on November 18, 1995, our relationship deepened further. Now, after the stressors of kids, home buying, career changes, I don't think there's anything that can break our bonds. If there was, it would ruin me.

Alicia, I love you. Thanks for 9-years. Wanna keep it going?

Stay You.

Back to Main Page