Friday, November 19, 2004

National Treasure, the Freemasons and Me

Nicholas Cage's new movie National Treasure comes out today. Gonna see it? Me? No. Unless it's animated or on the dish, we don't get to see anything. But the movie has raised some interesting discussion at the office. The premise of the movie is that the Knights Templar of old Crusading days stole some gold from ancient Egypt. The Knights Templar became the Freemason's who made up America's Founding Father's - Washington, et. al. Sounds fun, action packed, romantic. But I'll wait for the DVD.

Here's where I come in: I'm a Freemason. Here's my lodge. Contrary to internet conspiracies, idiots in my office and Jerry Bruckheimer, we aren't pulling the strings of American society. In all honesty we can barely pull off a pancake breakfast fundraiser. (Notice the broken pic on the website.)

This is not to disparage any of the guys in my lodge. They are good guys, but they're normal guys. The lodge is a voluntary thing for them and they all have lives. I haven't been there since I decided to dedicate most of my time to building my investment business.

The weirdo, X-File watching, internet freak conspiracy types find us interesting because of a couple of factors. First, we are a long-lived organization - a fraternal organization - similar to the Elks, Moose or Eagle Lodges that first became public in 1717 or so. Second, we do what sounds like weirdo stuff. Basically, the ceremonies or degrees that a mason goes through teach moral lessons through speeches and symbols and allegories. That's all, that's it. If your curious about a lodge, call one up and talk with them. They'll be glad to hear from you because most of their members are an average age of 113.

Each state is different, but here was my experience in the lodge (as much as I can tell):

There are three degrees to become a freemason. They are Entered apprentice, Fellowcraft, and Master Mason. In these degrees stories, or legends, are told and lessons are given. It's very 18th centuryish. It culminates in the Master Mason degree which is a morality play telling the story of the murder of Hyram Abiff, architect of King Solomon's temple. In Kentucky, these are given on three different nights and before a man (only men can join a lodge) can move onto the next degree, he has to pass an oral exam regarding the preceeding one.

That's it. Your a Mason. You are now asked to help send flowers to the widows of deceased brothers, serve at the pancake breakfast, help put other people through the degrees, walk in the 4th of July parade, and come to a monthly boring business meeting where we give money to various charities after which you eat cold cuts off white bread seasoned with mayo - sometimes there's mustard. There's no grand conspiracy. Like I said, we have a hard time putting together fundraisers.

These first 3 degrees are called the Blue Lodge. If you wish you can go into some other Masonic organizations. The most prominent of which is the Scottish Rite which have an additional 29 degrees plus one honorary one. Again, these are lessons taught through theatre and speeches. When you hear of a 32 degree or 33rd degree Mason, this is who they are referring to. I belong to the Scottish Rite of Covington. I went through the degrees in two days. I pay $40 a year. They do things like this and haven't been back since those two days. There's another popular - at least where I'm at - group called the York Rite. I don't know anything about them. After you reach the top of these groups - like I said, I did in 2 days - you can go to the Shrine. They put on that circus.

If you would like detailed descriptions of the degrees check out these books: Born in Blood is somewhat conspiratorial but has a good description of the degrees. Moral and Dogma is a doorstop of a book that details the symbolize and meaning of all the degrees.

Stay You.

Back to Main Page