Thursday, November 18, 2004

Property Rights

In my book, I wrote about property rights and said:

A country that guarantees these property rights will prosper and attract
individuals who yearn for the assurance that they can keep what they build.
My newspaper - The Sunday Challenger - ran this article about students at Northern Kentucky University "pirating" music.

Here's the money quote:
The student said he sees nothing wrong with getting his music this way. "I
don't want to pay $18 for a CD with two good songs on it, it's pointless," he
said. "It's really the record companies' fault for putting out so much
garbage that it's not even worth buying the album."

Whatever his excuses, he stole the music. If he steals one of my books, I will stop him - with lethal force if necessary. It might be crap music, but some artist worked at it and some record company risked alot of money to try to get a return on it.

In my book, I was speaking about property rights being infringed upon by government action. I use the building moratorium in Lake Tahoe as an example. Either way, if people are not able to use their property as they wish and earn a return on it, they will not invest. That's the first step to shutting down the entire economic system (see economic sclerosis of Western Europe, USSR).

Today is the 9th anniversary of my marriage to The Divine Mrs. M. We agreed not to do anything big. I found out through talkative No. 2 daughter that she bought me Henry V which I've been wanting. She wants this John Mayer CD. We both paid cash and respected the artist's property rights, ok?

Stay You.

Back to Main Page