Monday, November 22, 2004

Rubic's Dork


I went to my parent's house for an early Thanksgiving. Waiting in the garage for me was a box marked Chuck's Stuff. The final clearing out of my old room had occured 16 years after my departure. (Why, you ask, is the box not labeled Howard's Stuff. You haven't been reading much.) Anyway there were a few things that brought out the Wayback Machine.

The first was my collection of Rubic's Cubes and the puzzles of Those-That-Wish-To-Cash-In. The 2x2 cube was called a Pocket Rubic's for those that must Rubic on the go. There's a couple different sizes of the traditional Rubic's including a Chex Mix tie in and a 4x4 monster Rubic's Revenge. I still have the book to solving Alexander's Star, but I can't remember the names of the other puzzles - the chain one, the ball, and the pyramid. Anyone out there know them? Honest to Allah, I could solve everyone one of them; I was that cool So much wasted time!

After the Rubic's et.al. phase I moved on to juggling. My old set of Juggling Clubs is posted below. Yes, I can juggle them still - it's a heck of an upper body work out. This was my Bible. Anyway, this was a big life lesson on the mentality of people. I learned to juggle balls. Great, after I did this in front of someone the next question would be, "Yeah, but can't you do clubs?" So after a few weeks I learned to juggle clubs. After a few minutes of showing off the question was, "Yeah, but can't you do more than three?" Lesson is: It's never enough for some people. So Screw 'em.

After juggling faded, I moved on to my guitar, banjo, and harmonica which are now packed away in Daughter No. 1's closet. I was pretty good on the harp; somewhat less so on the guitar, and a joke on the banjo. But here's another life lesson learned: High school and college girls are way too impressed with some dork who knows 5 cords and was playing with Rubic's cubes just a few years before - way to impressed.


Posted by Hello