Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Wall Street Journal on Immigration - Again

My post yesterday on immigration drew some fisty comments. Let's try for some more. Here's today's from Rupert Murdoch. I especially liked this part on the guest worker plan:
It would help our security forces stop wasting resources now spent on hunting down Mexican waitresses and start devoting them to tracking the terrorists who really threaten us.

I know Mr. Murdoch is evil and all that, but his network has put on The Simpsons for the past 68 years so he gets a big pass from me. But he makes a good point.

There's two other things I'd like to toss out there:

First, the immigration law vis-a-vis Mexicans is flying in the face of human behavior, nature, conduct. Think Prohibition. When a law trys to counteract human nature, it just isn't going to work. We want cheap labor, they want to work. Free markets are a natural force. You can't legislate against that.

Second, and I'm just proposing a thought here, but the U.S. side sees this issue as an economic one only. For us it is, but is it on the Mexican side? Or is it a race issue? In the past few years, my community has seen a large influx of Mexicans. I've had limited dealings with them, but they seem like nice people. A large family moved in around the corner and they've put a ton of money into the place so heck I'm happy. One thing I've noticed though is that none of them look like Vicente Fox. Is Mexico exporting it's race problem? What are the implications? I don't know. Just something to think about.

Stay You.

Back to Main Page