Saturday, December 11, 2004

Bernie Kerik, Fat People Not Dancing & Handicap Pregnant Women

We actually slept in today. The kids are apparently moving out of that phase where they need to get up at 7:00 and immediately wake us up. The Christmas Party last night went fine. It was at a local country club. It was smaller - sorry, intimate - than usual but with people I can deal with. Tanquary and tonics and people that don't irriate me that much and I'll be fine.

So we slept in, had some breakfast, then off to Daughter No. 2's dance class. I try not to be mean to fat people, but I may be here. Daughter No. 2 is 3. The class is designed for child and parent to work together. It only lasts 1/2 hour. I usually go because it's on a Saturday and most of these events are held during the weekday (also, The Divine Mrs. M and Daugher No. 1 went rolling skating today). However, here's what I've noticed over the last couple of months. The fat parents don't dance with the kid. They kind of stand back and watch. The kid usually wavers between dancing and running over and grabbing onto mom or dad. I want to yell at these parents "Dance with them, dammit". The thinner parents are more active. Believe me, a few rounds of head-shoulders-knees-and-toe can be a nice aerobic workout. But to the fat parents: maybe this is a chicken and egg question, but are you fat because your that lazy or that lazy because your fat. Either way, this class is nothing more than glorified stretching, get in on the fun. It feels goooooooooooooooood.
*****************
Bernard Kerik has withdrawn his nomination for Homeland Security Secretary because of some nanny problem and/or because he made some bucks consulting with a security company. First off, how many potential cabinet secrtaries have been torpedoed by this illegal immigrant for a nanny problem. I think Linda Chavez in 2000. And I remember a few Clinton people. I can't imagine this isn't one of the first things that's checked on these guys. Because I think this, I also think that the "illegal for a nanny" excuse might be code. Maybe it's better than saying what's really holding up the nomination - back taxes, a girlfriend(s), a few DUIs, a domestic distrubance, an illigitimate child by a crackhead that you've been palming $50/week to. Just a thought. I have no inside information. Second, so Kerik made a few mil consulting for a security firm. That's probably because he's good at it, but in this country in 2004 making money at something makes you suspect. It he had been nominated for Education Secretary I guess he would pass although he probably knows nothing about education. Come to think of it, that might be a good idea.

I spent much of nap time writing an article about the upcoming Girl Scout Cookie Sale for the Sunday Challenger. This brought to mind Inflation, what I call the Fifth Tax in my book. Why? Because I wanted to type "50 cents" for a price increase, but instead of writing the word "cents" I looked for the cent symbol. You know that do-hickey "c" with the line vertically through it. This one, anyway my old typewriter from high school (bought three months before pc's took over the world) has one, but I guess with the amount of inflation over the last 30 years there's just not as much need for it.

Finally, maybe this is a local phenomena, but does every 10th person have a handi-cap sticker? Last night, I accidentally parked in a handi-cap spot because the symbol painted in the space was very faded and I was in a hurry and didn't see it. Don't worry there were plenty of other spaces and I didn't see any no-legged men hobbling in from the back of the lot. But I've been noticing that alot of people have these that look fine to me. I know there are some handicaps that are not visible, but there just can't be this many. Who's getting them? I think it may the aforementioned non-dancing fat people, but I've seen plenty of others. The Divine Mrs. M has also noticed this. We'd like to see the rules on who gets one, but neither of us is that amibitious on the topic. She did offer an idea. Pregnant women should get one - maybe starting with the 2nd trimester. Sounds fine to me, but with all the growing number of handicap people and now pregos, where am I going to park.

OK, sounds like the girls baths are done so it's bed time. Enjoy.

Stay You.

Back to Main Page