Sunday, December 05, 2004

On Writing, The Blogosphere, and Opening a Vein

Venemous Kate had a great post last week concerning her writing and the vulnerability that it exposes her to. It's been hanging in the back of my brain since I read it. First, Kate's writing is always clear and sharp(tongued). I love writing that doesn't waste my time. This may explain my book's slight 135 pages! I'm not always a fan of Hemingway's content, but the man never wasted a word and neither does Kate.

I like all kinds of blogs, but Kate's post is what the blogosphere can be. Red Smith once said, "Writing is easy. You sit down at a typewriter and open a vein." Kate opened a vein a few times and the raw power of it overwhelms you. This is something new. It's not a poem, a short story, can't be turned into novel length nor probably sold to a magazine as is. What is it? It's a type of blog post. It's an insight into the human condition which has been allowed an audience and possibly provides the author with some financial gain. Not bad for a medium a couple years old.

Stay You.

Back to Main Page