Thursday, December 02, 2004

Today's Gripes, Complaints, & Bitchs

I'm running on fumes this week. This is just not the best time of the year for me. The holidays always seemed like noting more than people making more demands on me and my time and my money. That's probably a lotta childhood baggage but I would someday like a simple holiday not filled with people telling me where I have to go and what I have to bring and what they want for Christmas (and I'm not talking of my kids or The Divine Mrs. M.). So I'm going to let loose with some ad hominem gripes, complaints and bitches in the hope that it will flush out my system. Let's hope Happy Howard is back tomorrow.
*****************

What is a communications degree? I was in a conversation with a group of people a while back when one piped up that her daughter is getting his communications degree. Everyone became uncomfortable until a guy - early 50's - innocently said, "Oh, I didn't know she was an athlete." She wasn't. No one takes a communications degree seriously. Is this in the same category of sociology majors really being good at basketball? I've read my alma mater's site on it here and I still have to ask: What is a communications degree? There's a bunch of other degrees out there that I'm suspicious of also but don't want to piss off too many readers.

I went to the National Review website yesterday and spotted Princess Diana's long dead face and couldn't bring myself to read the article. (But I'll give you the link.) I also watched a new South Park last night tearing into Paris Hilton. Besides the skank factor with Ms. Hilton, what's the difference between Diana, Hilton, and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis? These women are put up on pedastals of various heights and lifetime movies of various quality and I can't think of one thing they've ever done besides spend enormous sums of other people's money. I've got two daughters and I want them to know that they can accomplish what ever they want without marrying some rich guy (although that would be ok) or being yanked out of the right crouch. Let's ignore these women and focus on true heroines. There's plenty out there. And don't give me Amelia Earhardt! What'd she ever do besides get lost?

Brokaw did a final sign off, Rather is retiring. So what? I cannot remember the last time I watched either of their news shows. I don't know when they're on. When I want the news I click on CNN or Fox or whatever. Do people with cable still watch these people? Can you cover the world in 20 minutes? I clicked on a couple of times and they gloss over things at the speed of light. Another thing I don't watch: Saturday Night Live. Haven't for years. I've clicked on it too and haven't found anything funny. Why is it still on? Give me repeats of Seinfeld anyday.


Stay You.

Back to Main Page