Saturday, December 04, 2004

WKRP in Cincinnati Architecture Lesson - Failed

As a kid I drove through Cincinnati very fast from Ft. Wayne on my way visit relatives in South Carolina. We never stopped. So when I moved here the only thing I knew about Cincinnati was the Reds, the Bengals, and there was a fountain that said "Dedicated to the People of Cincinnati" from repeatedly watching the opening credits of WKRP in Cincinnati (OMG! There's an actual Gary Sandy Official Website). That fountain is called the Tyler Davidson Fountain. Here's a pretty good history and description.

Last weekend, the family and I went downtown (another benefit of not living in the suburbs) to view the lighting of the "Holiday" Tree - what Holiday they didn't specify - but I thought I would photoblog the fountain. Great idea in the tradition of Althouse, but, alas, I screwed up just about every shot. But there were really good shots. Really. The fountain's theme is water. Original, eh? Anyway, because the Ohio River is so important to Cincinnati they picked that theme. Under the lady holding out her arms are four scenes on each side all having to do with the uses of water. So you get someone drinking, bathing, putting out a fire, and cleaning. Well, here's a pic that didn't suck too much:

Sorry the others didn't turn out. It's actually a pretty nice fountain. In this shot on the right some dude's taking a swig of water and on the left some lady is putting out a fire. Here's what the tree looked like if you were stoned and your eye sight was slighly blurred.

If you look closely at the bottom of the pic, you'll see Daughter No 2.'s red hat and The Divine Mrs. M. holding her.

And here, finally, are the three women in my life. Somehow, the girls managed to stop jumping and screaming for the exact fraction of a second that I took this picture and look totally irritated. Go figure?




Stay You.

Back to Main Page