Sunday, January 23, 2005

Latest Challenger Article

My latest article for the award winning - that's right, award winning! - Sunday Challenger newspaper was on a move by a local Catholic junior high school. It was published today. This just happens to be the one my oldest daughter will be going to in 4 years.

The picture sucks the more I look at it. If I had just stepped about 3 steps to the left, I could have gotten most of the front of the school in the shot and the little sign about the historic district. I like historic districts and their signs so I was probably too occupied with getting the sign in the shot than the subject. My house is about 10 blocks outside of this one and it irritates me everytime I see the cool little sign. Those women look hot!

On another level, this section of the article bothered me greatly:

Given the building's history and its place in Newport's East Row Historic District, care was taken to preserve as much of its architectural integrity as possible. Though the floor plan was reconfigured to allow for the maximum number of classrooms, the stained glass windows were preserved. Unfortunately, the budget didn't accommodate incorporating the ornate ceiling of the former auditorium into the school. But it was left intact for use in possible future renovations.


That "ornate ceiling of the former auditorium" wasn't in the budget. Want to know what was? An elevator. Randy Nieses told me that due to the extent of the renovation, they were required to install an elevator.

Will anyone use it? No, it's not worth the energy to operate it. But the American's with Disabilities Act requires it.

I asked if they have any disabled students or teachers? No, but they have to have it just in case they do in the future.

So I asked, if that happens, can't you install those little chair lift things that run along stairs? No, the ADA requires an elevator. If the renovation wasn't as extensive then they wouldn't have required the elevator.

Cost of working in the ceiling into the design? About $300K.

Cost of installing an elevator? 300K.

So here's the net effect. To accomodate a non-existent disabled worker or student, years of actual students and workers will be denied the beauty of that ceiling. A beautiful drop ceiling was installed. We are a kind and generous society. Laws like the ADA prove it. But stupid government dictates like these are going to erode that kindness and generousity.

Stay You.

Back to Main Page