Monday, January 10, 2005

Taxi Vignettes

I love people's stories. I love interesting people who are engaged in the world.

That's why I like Taxi Vignettes. It's written by Joan who drives a cab in the SF Bay area. I've never been to San Francisco, but I want to make up a reason just so I can have her pick me up at the airport.

She writes simply - dare I say Hemingwayesque?

She gets to the point- many posts are 100 - 200 words. That's just enough time for me to check her out when I need a little work break. I know I don't have to dedicate 15 minutes just to read her post.

But most importantly, she tells a good story.

In today's post, she runs into Charlie. On another recent day, she notices a vegetable bouquet. Other days she talks to weird people like this guy or a weirder person like this guy. I'm sure these conversations last just a few minutes and she's waiting for her ride and just killing time, but who else would do this?

Where I live, cabs cruise the neighborhood mostly taking old ladies without cars to the grocery store. The Divine Mrs. M and I have taken them a few times rather than pay for parking downtown - or when we couldn't find a bus back home! But these guys are just interesting in getting us out of his cab. No talk, no time. I picture a ride with Joan like her blog - I'm going to learn something or see something I would never have noticed.

So drop in on Joan and see where she's going and if you're going to the Bay Area, schedule yourself a ride in her cab.

Stay You.

Back to Main Page