Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Bedtime

Here's the kid's bedtime routine in our house:

1. They go upstairs to put on pajama, brush their teeth, and wash their face.
2. They then pick up their room. When they're done, they tell us. We then go upstairs.
3. We read them books. 7-year old Dagny sometimes likes to read them to us.
4. They each have their own Beatle song. Dagny gets Helter Skelter sung as a lullabye. She's declined hearing these over the past years, but asks for it when she's really tired or had a bad day. Harper gets Get Back which she calls Jo-Jo. Sometimes I mix it up with If I Fell.
5. They get told they are Pretty, Special, and Smart each night. Lights off. That's it.

This happens just about every night. We do get off track but I think it's important for the kids to have regularity, routine, ritual in their lives. I think it's important for adults also. Why introduce the stress of the unexpected? Life will bring that to you. Especially in the home, there should be security and comfort. I don't want to move. I don't want to job hop. I don't want the kids in day-care that changes every few months. I just want peace.

Stay You.
Back to Main Page