Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Austin Nichols: Anti-Corporate Revolutionary

My friend Mark Baker in Washington State sent me a gift package. Some CDs he wanted me to watch (sorry Mark, haven't done that yet), a cigar, picture of his kids, and two hotel mini-bar bottles of Austin Nichol's Wild Turkey. It scares many people, but I love this stuff.

Anyway, they are now on the shelf above my desk along with a bottle of The Glenlivet. Liquor in the office is very anti-corporate and that's part of the reason I like having it here. The thought of the big evil faceless corporation makes me bletch.

I think those jobs offer many the faintest whiff of what a totalitarian state must be like.

The corporation offers security (don't all fascists /communist provide basic needs no mater how horrible they are?) with the constant threat of layoffs (concentration camps, gulags, killing fields).

Speech codes are strickly enforced (the fear the HR department causes in many 50 something white males is similar to that of any secret police force).

Speaking out of turn will get you the wrong kind of attention. (Yes!)

The best way to survive is to keep quiet, keep your head down, don't be controverial or you will be label "not a team player." That's death to a corporate career. (Very similar to "non-conformer" or "traitor" or "counter-Revolutionary")

Anyways, mostly I like having the liquor here because it makes me feel like a man.

I always assumed as a kid that I'd be working in some sort of office doing some sort of business. When I watched television shows, I loved the scene where two guys would finish a day and one would bring out two dirty highball glasses from his desk with a bottle of Scotch and they'd slam down a drink. Lou Grant would do this alot, if I remember right. I'm sure in the future if it hasn't happened already, that they will blur out or cut those images like the Warner Brother's Cartoons have been edited or Jean-Paul Satre has been.

The act looked manly, it looked pleasurable. So every so often - although I've drifted away from the habit - I will pour a finger of Scotch (now Wild Turkey) at 4:00 on a Friday as I'm closing out the week. It's a good way to stick it to The Man!

Thanks, Mark.

Stay You.
Back to Main Page