Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Bill Night

I try to blog every day, but today I'm tapped. I have no opinions - "Yeah, Right!" I can hear The Divine Mrs. M say in my head - and no stories. Nothing to entertain you. Nothing. Nada, zilch, zippo.

So you get the flotsam and jetsam of the life of a family man.

We paid the bills tonight. Why do we put it off? I'm a financial professional and yet the basic act of sitting down and paying the bills sounds horrible to me. Repulsive even. It's not like we're behind or jugling them. We even paid some that aren't due til next month. Not bad for a family on one income where dad's starting his own business. I JUST DON'T WANT TO DO THEM! OKAY!

The Divine Mrs. M and I pay them together. She organizes the bills and writes the checks. I put them into a tracking spread sheet we have, verify the amount, envelope them and mail them off. Beginning and middle of the month. We don't argue, we don't fight, we don't accuse. Although sometimes we whine. But mostly....WE JUST DON'T WANT TO DO THEM!

She thinks it's PTSD from earlier years while she was in grad school and I had an entry level job with The Evil Corporation. A few negative things occurred that really put us behind the 8 ball. Money was tight as a steel drum and one of those calypso dudes was banging away at it day and night. We could hardly sleep. We were in despair. We lived in an apartment in a crappy town and we each drove too far to work for too little money.

I'm not sure if that's it for me. I am a worrier. I worry about everything. If you need somebody to worry over something - I'm your man. I can take your average everyday concern and worry it into a crisis faster than anybody. My capacity for this task is tremendous. I know the bills are paid and will be paid. If there was some financial crisis The Divine Mrs. M would have told me about it. So why worry? That's what I do. I worry. But I also procrastinate. Strangley, it's almost easier to worry about something that probably isn't going to happen for a week, than to drag my sorry ass downstairs, pay the bills in 30 minutes and discover there's nothing there to worry about. But what if there is? I'd rather hide in my work or in this book or that t.v. show.

Maybe, alas, this is a form of immaturity. I don't know....Oh, great.....I'm immature....Something else to worry about. Well, I needed something because I getting bored wondering if this weird looking freckle on my arm is cancer or not.

Stay You.
Back to Main Page