Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Freedom On The March Or A Flanking Maneuver?

The story of the Lebanese protest movement is wonderful. Right up there with what went on in the Ukraine. In my book (remember that thing?) I wrote that democracy is a requirement for economic growth. Imagine a democratic Middle East productivly functioning and contributing to a global economy. As I said, it's wonderful.

I do have my doubts about this particular movement. Is it a spontaneous rising up inspired by Afghan and Iraqi's voting? I hope so.

I do wonder, however, if the protests are inspired by some cash spread around by the US. Syria harbored some top Saddamites before, during, and after the war. They are now a conduit for the insurgency. Maybe Bush, Condi, et. al decided to do a flanking maneuver. Cause some problems for the Syrians in their own back yard so they will lay off the Iraqi situation in their front yard. I don't have any proof, just a sneaking suspicion. It just seems like something Bush would do. God, I love that about him.

Either way, there's fewer Bathist facists in Lebanon than there were last week. That's a good thing.

New topic: Racism again? I'm inspired by the fact that there's voting in Iraqi and Afghanistan and - to a limited extent - in Saudi Arabia and the fact that Arafat's dead and the wall is almost up and suicide bombings may be a rarity in Israel and the Lebanese are throwing out the Syrians and all that, but here in my little office I hear negativity.

I hear things like, "Oh, those people have been killing each other for 1,000 years. They'll get back to it." What? Yes, there has been blood shed for a long time, but if you look at European history, you get the same thing. I don't know if the middle east every had conflicts denominated in years - 100 Years War? 30 Years War? Not to mention WWI, WWII, The Cold War.

I want to scream at these people, "Come on. There's a chance here. There's hope. Let's embrace and celebrate it." But I just get back to work. Which I need to do now. Bye!

Stay You.
Back to Main Page