Wednesday, August 24, 2005

John Derbyshire Love-fest continues

I worked from 9 to 11 last night in the quiet. Usually, the tv gets flipped on at 11 and its a toss-up between the Simpsons on local tv or Family Guy on Cartoon Network. God, that sounds silly writing that. Anyway, last night Seeing Calvin Coolidge in a Dream (see previous post here) beat out Homer and Bart and Peter and Stewie.

Earlier I spotted The Divine Mrs. M in bed reading The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton starring Daniel Day Lewis and Michelle Pfieffer. Later I realized that these two books are strikingly similar. If you liked that movie, eh, book, then go pick up John Derbyshire's book.

Both are about a man fighting himself over a love from his youth but staying firm in his committment to his wife and family.

I had congratulated myself on observing that fine literary parrellel, but then about 10 pages later, one of Mr. Derbyshire's characters bluntly makes it and directly refers to The Age of Innocence. My ego was deflated.

I've stopped reading the book because I know I'm at the last bit that gets a little mystical and I like that sort of stuff and I like to finish a book on a good one hour or so read. There's nothing worse than reading a book and sitting down to finish it only to discover you have 3 pages to go. Anti-climatic.

Check back later tonight for birthday pictures.

Stay You.
Back to Main Page