Friday, August 12, 2005

A Moral Quandry

Not for me. Somebody else.

Here's the scenario: This past summer my wife was one of the leaders of our church's vacation bible school. I even got to play a resurrected Jesus one night. Several kids attended. They did a great job, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, there's some money left over in the budget and someone had the bright idea to help the kids who attended buy their school supplies.

Great idea, I thought. We don't live in a poor neighborhood, but we have alot of working poor. Good (and a few not-so-good) people who are struggling. So great. Let's help them out. (I'm actually not involved but have received reports from The Divine Mrs. M.)

During the meeting for this purchase one member of the committee suggested that the supplies not be bought at Wal-Mart because they're evil, they abuse their employees, they kill puppies, etc. Others agreed; others demured.

The Divine Mrs. M. noted that all of our oldest daughter's school supplies were purchased for about $25 at Wal-Mart and no one else in town could beat that.

Personally, we have no problem with Wal-Mart. Ms. M's mum works there even as a check-out clerk. It's a free country and no one puts a gun to these people's head to make them work there (unlike some of the products they sell from China where guns are used as a motivation to production).

Here's the moral quandry: If Wal-Mart is boycotted, then less school supplies will be bought for kids who are borderline economically; or fewer kids will receive all their school supplies. I don't think it's right for these kids to pay for someone else's moral or political stand.

Am I wrong?

Anyway, some of this budget came from money I put in the collection plate. Should I be pissed if this happens? I will be.

Stay You.
Back to Main Page