Thursday, May 25, 2006

I Wish I Was A Smoker

In not a hypocondriac but am a worrier. Physically, I worry about not getting excercise - I'm getting back to this gym this week after 4 weeks off. I worry about drinking too many colas. A acerbic acid, the caffiene, the bubbles- what are they doing to my body and teeth. I worry about the occasional Jr. BBQ cheeseburger and fries from Wendy's. I watch the medical channels - my yougest daughter's favorite and see all the crap that could go wrong.

It doesn't keep my up and night but it's always in the back of my head. I imagine men that have been in combat don't worry as much. Maybe they do. Do the bills and a 38" waist matter much to a man who's been in a firefight.

For instance, if I was a perpetual big fat guy like actor Charles During I'd wake every morning just waiting for a heart attack. But does he care?

I once read an article about the dude. He was on Omaha Beach and won chestful of medals. He was one of the few survivors of the massacre at Malmedy. At Malmedy, his unit surrendered during the Battle of the Bulge. German trucks came for what they thought was to transport them to a POW camp, but instead when the back gates were dropped, the Germans opened fire with machine guns. They blew away a 100+ GIs standing in ranks. He played dead and crawled out from beneath bodies. Then he starred in Tootsie and does guest shots on Everybody Loves Raymond. Does he worry about his weight....or anything?

Smokers really impress me. I wish I was a smoker. The proof is incontrivertible. These things you just bought at the Quikie Mart are going to kill you. Not might or may, but will end your life earlier than needed by a decade or two...and still they go right ahead and smoke. And I'm worried about drinking too much cola?

I wish I could have a smokers attitude.

Stay You.
Back to Main Page