Friday, May 12, 2006

The Trouble with Holidays

When younger at a party, I always felt at a certain time it was time to call it quits. 1 am or 2 am. My energy started to ebb, folks were coming down off their 2nd buzz, everyone had a good night. Time to go home. But there was always that guy. In high school and in college who just had to go longer. Who couldn't call it a night gracefully. Who had to go until 5:30.

I did this a few times and always regretted it. Sometime during that period people turn sullen (me) or violent or aggressively silly. Women get easily pissed off. Fights break out.

Over doing it ruined what would have normally been a very nice night.

That same thing seems to be my trouble with holidays. Mother's Day seemed to have started right after Easter. Before mom's flowers droop, Father's Day is going to be crammed down our throats. After that 4th of July sales. It's Father's Day, not Father's month!

Christmas now seems to start the day after Halloween.

Every damn holiday has seemed to take on the status of "a major event" with weeks of buildup.

I find it exhausting. By the time the day rolls around I'm sick of hearing about it. The actual day feels like a girl at 5 am puking in the bushes while her best friend hold her hair and her other best friend makes out with her boyfriend. It's just too much.

I don't mind any of the holidays. I don't mind taking my wife out to lunch on Sunday or going to church on Easter or a little traveling on Thanksgiving. I actually enjoy those things. I don't enjoy the societal pressure we've placed on it. The endless consumerism that is now built into everything is pychicly numbing. It seems that everyone buys into the overproduction hook line and sinker.

Stay You.
Back to Main Page