Sunday, July 16, 2006

Rounding Out Class Warfare Week

It's sunday. I'm tapped for some reason. I have two articles to write for the Enquirer and another for another publication - oh, that's right. I forgot to tell you about my latest job.

I get about 15 magazines a month. These are free. High end glossies that are mailed to financial advisors. I don't know why they are free but assume they make their money from getting the ads in front of the people rather than through subscriptions. Anyway, most of these magazines are very boring - at least to me. One however I read more of than usual. So in a bored fit of pique one day while thumbing through the mag I looked at the masthead, dialed up the editor and asked for a job. He asked for some clips and I have now have my first assignment. The pay is bit more than I'm use to so it's a double bonus.

Even though they want a short article of 1200 - 1500 words its longer than what I usually do for the Enquirer. This requires a gear change and stretches a different part of my writing chops. When it's published I post it.

Here's an article I did for the Enquirer today on mysterious Loch Norse. I think they ran it as I wrote it which is always nice.

Now, to pick on the rich...

William Jennings Bryan once said something very stupid. Ok, he said alot of stupid things but this time I'm referring to his quote "No one can earn a million dollars honestly." I'd like to paraphrase him a bit. "No one can earn a million dollars healthfully."

What I mean by that is I've met quite a few people who earn, let's say $500k+ a year on a regular basis. By the way, I'm not one of them. Of these people, almost to a man, they are some of the most miserable people I've ever met. They are invariable divorced multiple times, they usually have horrible relationships with their kids, their angry, and their health is a mess.

I guess my point is that you can earn big bucks honestly and consistently but you have to be willing to sacrifice alot of things. Earning big bucks requires a single minded focus. When the wife wants to talk or get away for a weekend, you tell her no. After 10-15 years of this, she stops asking you and starts asking the pool boy. You miss the kids ball games or if you are their you ride the cell phone the whole time. Soon your 30 year old son is living in your McMansion and your daughter is strung out on pills. You eat out and eat late, you don't exercise. I have found that these people's singular vision for accomplishing their work goals make them blind to almost anything and everybody not having to do with that goal.

Someday, you might be driving home and Harry Chapin comes on the radio and you a revealation, but by then it's too late. "My boy was just like me..."

To further answer Mdm Butterfly's quesion of who do I like, not many of these people. I met these people at conventions and conferences. I have dinner with them. I see their suits, cars trophy wives and very high dollar hookers. To are large extent, they are some of the most boring people on the face of the earth.

Stay You.
Back to Main Page