Thursday, September 14, 2006

My Hometown

Bellevue's not really my hometown, but it's the place I've chosen to live and raise my kids.

The town's jumping tonight because of a very well planned out homecoming celebration. I did a story on it here (I especially liked talking to the guy from the class of '39).

The public school is a bit foreign to me. I grew up in a nice suburban area. My high school class was a little more than 600. If I remember right, we were smallish, so the entire school was about 2,500.

My kids school is urban - with the benefits and problems inherent. From the playground you can see the Cincinnati skyline. You can take sidewalks from the school, across a bring, to downtown easily. However, Bellevue is a city carved out of a larger urban area. It's 1 mile square, however, unless you notice the small differences that took me a few years to notice you don't know when you leave Bellevue and enter Newport, or Dayton, KY, or Ft. Thomas. So the kids are growing up in a much larger city, urban area. However the high school has graduating classes of 50-55 students.

That seems claustraphobic (sp?) to me. At times I like disappearing in high school. Every once in a while I'd have a class where I didn't really know anyone except from seeing them in the hall or by reputation. I then went to a university with about 25,000 students.

My girls are growing up in a dicodomy. An urban Mayberry. I don't know if that's good or bad or null. But it's what we got.

Stay You.
Back to Main Page