Thursday, September 21, 2006

Voice Mail Systems

About 4 months ago we got a new voice mail system at the office. It sucks. I mean it really sucks. On last count, I had to press 19 keys to get to my messages. 19!

I also have a voicemal systems that I buy from the phone company. My cell phone has one too.

The one thing these all have in common is that they are all different.

Why can't someone in the telecommunication industry come up with an industry standard? On two of the systems I have to press 3 to delete calls; another requires a 7. One allows me to skip messages, but another doesn't.

Because I'm afraid of pressing the wrong thing, I have to listen to the entire passionless voice tell me what to do. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds. Oftentimes I get distracted and have to wait for the roundrobin to come back again.

We must demand standardized voicemail button functionality...and don't tell me the slow talking long-ass messages from t-mobile isn't there to burn up my minutes.

This rant does even consider other people voicemails. If I have to press more than 5 buttons to get to you - you won't hear from me.

Stay You.
Back to Main Page