Thursday, March 29, 2007

Amanda Georgi Bagley

The below hit me harder than I thought it would have. It popped up in my in box. It took a few seconds to recognize the sender and the name in the subject line. I thought it spam for a moment. I didn't know her extraordinarily well. I went to school together since 6th grade, was at her house a few times, I think she showed me her horse once. I didn't keep in touch afterward. Never even thought to.

When I got the e-mail I was consumed with trivial matters in a trivial part of my job. What's wrong with us for not appreciating what's important in life until something tragic happens to someone else?

Amanda Georgi Bagley, 37, died in her sleep Tuesday, March 27th, 2007 at the home of her mother and grandmother in Coldwater, MI. She is survived by her husband, Lafe; daughter, Holly; mother, Ann Georgi; brother, Matt Georgi; and grandmother, Judy Bertram. She was preceded in death by her father, John Georgi. Mandy was an avid gardener, adopter of stray cats, beloved by her friends, and is now at peace.

Mandy was born in Fort Wayne, IN and graduated from Snider High School. She received her bachelor's degree from Columbia College in Chicago, IL. Mandy then lived in Los Angeles for ten years where she worked in the film industry. In 2004 she married Lafe Bagley. In 2006 she was diagnosed with colon cancer while pregnant and gave birth to Holly Amanda Bagley two days later. Mandy fought a valiant struggle for eleven months. She lived with grace and dignity and died with courage. Mandy will be forever missed by those who knew her.

There will be a memorial at Peace Lutheran Church in Fremont, IN on Saturday, April 14th, 2007 at 11 AM. Please do not send flowers. Consider making a donation to the Bagley Family Fund c/o North Shore Community Bank, 4343 W. Peterson Ave., Chicago, IL 60646. The fund will be donated to the Coldwater Cancer Center, Pets Are Worth Saving - Chicago, and for Holly's education.
Stay You.
Back to The Pure Investor