Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Mickey Mouse Fascism

I took the day off yesterday. I was washing the dishes listening to the radio (Why does it feel weird to listen to the radio while at home? There's a TV - use it dabgumit!) when a string of commercials came on. They were:

Some group reminding us that the Ohio smoking ban - no smokes anywhere - is in effect and it's now a wonderful world.

Some group telling me with memorial day coming up that Kentucky State Police will be making sure I "Click it" or I'll get a "Tick - et".

There there was a radio station news announcement stating with the holiday weekend, there will be several DUI check points around town.

Then a final commercial, teaser for a local TV news station warning me to watch at 11 or else I won't know what at my kids school could harm them?

Maybe this happens during the day a lot. I don't know. I'm not home usually, but within the span of 2 minutes while I'm doing nothing but standing there in my shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops loading up my dishwasher - I was told what to do 3 different times...and the news media - that vigilant watchdog - is scaremongering soccer moms.

I was a little creeped out by it.

I've known this for a while. I'm never an alarmist, but this Mickey Mouse Fascism is easily going to get out of hand.


Stay You.
Back to The Pure Investor