Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Purpose Driving Life - A Blogging Experiment

I'm feeling a bit down. I'm feeling a bit tired. It's hard to get inspired by anything. Maybe it's spiritual. Let's spend the next 40 days finding out.

While at church the other day I came across a free copy of The Purpose Driven Life. At least in suburban Ohio, this book is a hit. Overweight guys who play golf and fret about their 401(k) plans vote Republican and attend a mega church that asks little of them love this book.

Maybe there's something to it. I'll give it a try. The preface says I'm to read a chapter a day for the next 40 days. There's always a "Point to Ponder" at the end of each chapter. I'll ponder it here. Let's see if it changes my life right before your eyes.

My point to ponder?
If there were no God and everything was a result of random chance, there would be no purpose to your life. It all starts with God.
Ponderings tomorrow because today the answer to every question is SUCK IT! and that's probably not what they're looking for.

Today, first blushes. At first glance it seems like Viktor Frankl dressed in an televangelist powder blue suit. Is it Christianity as logotherapy? I don't know, but that's my first impression. It's been a few years since I've read Frankl - once in college and just about 3 years ago (didn't finish the second time, not sure if I understood the first). Maybe I'll check out Man's Search for Meaning tonight - it may serve as a good corollary.

I'm a little hesitant to reach a life changing book simply because my life is pretty good. Sure, it could be better, but I'm not wallowing in depredation. What if the book changes my life and the new life isn't so good. I'll have to tell the world to suck it.

Stay You.
Back to The Pure Investor