Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Working for Public and Private Schools

My workshop went well last night and I met 7 new families via 13 of my existing client families. All nice people. I truly like my clients. Anyway, about 40 people in all had to hear my opinions for about 30 minutes. Not bad, I think it went well. At least they got themselves fed. I Got to the office at 7:00 yesterday morning and got home around 9:30. I've done that too often.

I came in this morning and realized why I work so hard (except for blog trolling!). One main reason is to pay my kid's private school bill. It's not as bad as in some parts of the country, but is still steep for me. To add salt to the wound, I also paid my property taxes. 75% of those go to pay for the public schools we wouldn't send our kids into. In fact, to threaten my 7-year old, I tell her public schools are an option. That straightens her out right away! She knows to be afraid because she went to public kindergarten and she remembers it. "Too crazy," she says.

I've written about public schools here, but then I saw this article and it confirmed what I already knew. Teachers won't even send their kids to public schools!!! A snap shot:
In Philadelphia, 44 percent of the teachers put their children in private schools; in Cincinnati, 41 percent; Chicago, 39 percent; Rochester, N.Y., 38 percent. The same trends showed up in the San Francisco-Oakland area, where 34 percent of public school teachers chose private schools for their children; 33 percent in New York City and New Jersey suburbs; and 29 percent in Milwaukee and New Orleans.
Here's a useless paragraph:
Michael Pons, spokesman for the National Education Association, the 2.7-million member public school union, declined a request for comment on the study's findings. The American Federation of Teachers also declined to comment.
They don't need to comment. Their union members are saying it loud and clear with their wallets. Public Schools Suck!

Oh, well. While I may have to pay for both of them; at least my kids get to go to the better one. Others aren't so lucky.

Stay You.

Back to Main Page