Monday, November 15, 2004

I'm a Racists and anti-Semite?

I was doing a interview for an upcoming story in The Sunday Challenger with the Executive Director of a religious group when he mentioned that they have an annual holocaust rememberance service.

I think, "This is great and I agree wholeheartedly that we must 'never forget'."

But I did have one question: Why is it that we focus only on the Jews killed by Nazis? There have been millions killed by totalitarian regimes in the 20th century. What about the Ukrainian engineered famines or Pol Pot's killing fields or...well, take your pick. I asked why does there seem to be an annual holocaust movie, but nothing on any other attrocities.

I've raised this point here before.

Maybe I asked the question awkwardly, but the interviewee - a pastor - seemed to get a little tense and defensive. He didn't really have an answer - which is fine. I was just curious; but after I hung up my imagination started working and I pictured this guy called the Anti-Defamation League to report me as an anti-Semite holocaust denier. Truly, I don't want to take anything away from the horror that the Nazis inflicted on the Jews, but by concentrating all attention on them we tend to ignore other victims.

So feeling nice and anti-Semitic I was driving through Cincinnati's west end, aworking class area, when a racist thought crossed my mind. I asked myself, "Are black people the only ones who actually care about how they are dressed?"

The black guys didn't dress like I would (I have absolutely zero hip-hop influences), but they looked like they gave some thought about what they were wearing before the walked out the door in the morning. There's a certain sense of style they carry about them. They also look clean cut. I've noticed this at other times in other places.

Most of the white people I see walking around looked they like they were wearing whatever it was that they passed out in last night. The clothes don't look clean or pressed or coordinated. They look dirty, unshaven and slovenly. Don't they try.

What makes the black guy take that extra 15 mintues in the morning? I'm not sure it's a positive or a negative, but it sure as heck looks better.

Again, I'm not trying to be racist - just curious - just something I noticed.

Stay You.

Back to Main Page